PDA

View Full Version : Eminence Kilomax 18s

kipperj
06-30-2012, 10:12 AM
Hey DJF!

I started a thread in the mobile DJ section explaining my current system situation. If you're interested in reading, here's the thread:

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?10030-Smashed-my-Peavey-cabs

Otherwise, to make a long story short, I smashed my 15" cabs and I'm starting a real upgrade. I'm looking into some higher end 12s to go over my 18s. I have 2 PV118 subs and I was wondering if replacing the speakers with Eminence Kilomax 18s were a good idea or not. Would they sound okay in the box? I'll obviously have to upgrade my amps but I'm looking for a little more firepower. Has anyone used these speakers?

Thanks in advance!

Subzeero
06-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Hey DJF!

I started a thread in the mobile DJ section explaining my current system situation. If you're interested in reading, here's the thread:

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?10030-Smashed-my-Peavey-cabs

Otherwise, to make a long story short, I smashed my 15" cabs and I'm starting a real upgrade. I'm looking into some higher end 12s to go over my 18s. I have 2 PV118 subs and I was wondering if replacing the speakers with Eminence Kilomax 18s were a good idea or not. Would they sound okay in the box? I'll obviously have to upgrade my amps but I'm looking for a little more firepower. Has anyone used these speakers?

Thanks in advance!

Unless you have software like boxplot,(at the vey least), and know your way arround modeling and TS parameters, you will have no way of knowing whether the porting and cabinet volumes are suited to Eminence Kilomax woofers. Anything less is just a guess that could produce less bass than the OEM woofer, even though that PV118 woofers are only rated for 400 watts program/200watts continuous. Bass reflex boxes are not diificult to design. If you know someone who can run the numbers in a with that box volume and porting, as well as alternate porting, you would find out before you buy woofers iif they can be a good match.

Your best bet is to buy a good pair of higher quality used subs like Peavey SP118s. The PV118 is a very weak entry level sub. Sell them!

They will cost you less than the Kilomaxes.

kipperj
06-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Thanks for that!